Fresh Fennel and Hearts of Palm Salad
Makes 4 Servings
2 28 Oz.Jars Hearts Of Palm, Drained,1 Inch Rounds
2 Medium Fennel Bulbs, Halved And Thinly Sliced
4 Large And Tangy Radishes, Cleaned And Sliced
10 Basil Leaves, Cut Into Strips
1 Medium Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
14 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt, To Taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Pan Toasted Caraway Seeds (Optional)
1. Combine all the vegetables together in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Add the olive oil and mix again to coat completely. *
3. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Place in the refrigerator for one hour.
5. Remove 20 minutes before bringing the salad to the table.
6. Toss one more time before serving.
* Be careful when tossing. The Hearts of Palm are a bit delicate and tend to fall apart when handled too much.
© 1998 Mario Martinoli, Potholder Press, Cooking For Friends, Inc.